Black Shuck

A place to discuss the above, well have you ever tried to sum up all of these, together in a single paragraph?

Moderator: wolfman

amandac
Regional team leader

Black Shuck

Post by amandac » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:44 pm

The myth of spectral black dogs is well known all over the England, but in Norfolk we have our own particular version called Black Shuck. Usually the for bringer of doom, death and other tragedy's, this phantom has been spotted all over East Anglia, but seems to have strong connections with the coastal areas. It is interesting how, to my knowledge, there has been no recent "sightings" of this mythical creature. Are the sightings dying out with the decline of the legend?
http://norfolkcoast.co.uk/myths/ml_blackshuck.htm

GAZ

Post by GAZ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:43 pm

Black Shuck, also known as padfoot. I remember reading about 'Big Black Dogs' in a book called 'Alien Animals' by Janet And Colin Bord.

Interestingly, there are tales of 'phantom dogs' protecting travellers also!

Gareth 8)

Jane H
Researcher

Post by Jane H » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Hi all,

Being a Harry Potter fan I couldent resist throwing this in, In the prisoner of azkaban, Harry's godfather Sirius (the dog star) is nicknamed padfoot and his animagus form is a large black dog, That is mistaken for a spectral hound called the grim, its interesting that the dogs are allways considerd harbingers of bad luck. 8) .

Jane
We do what we must and call it by the best names - R.W Emerson :

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Post by Cherill » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi all,

Yeah, I noticed that Jane! All the good nasties are canine - ish. Everything from Black dogs being the harbingers of death to werewolves. Even the hound of the Baskervilles!

Perhaps I could Fidget and Carmen out to certain people who may have a fright? - Nah - they would lick them to death and may get food poisoning! :twisted:
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.