The Last Haunting!

General postings that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderators: wolfman, leecol

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Post by Cherill » Fri May 25, 2007 3:00 pm

Hi David,

In the old series of the untouchables, Capone didn't even look like De-nero, so I don't think you can rely on the looks of the actor. I think what matters is the actors ability to portray the person, not how they look.

Still, we are all entitled to our own opinion. I think Cage will make a great Capone as he has 'presence', can be inhumanely cruel in his on-stage attitude (acting of course), can look mad really easily and yet can come across as a gentle loving person. An all rounder you might say! :)
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

david
Researcher

Post by david » Fri May 25, 2007 6:41 pm

Hi Ches,

you are right, there have been a few people playing Capone in movies, for example ben Gazzara, in the 1975 movie called Capone, then in the Untouchables robert Deniro, i think Deniro did a good portrail of Capone, pitty the untouchables got more attention in that movie, than Capone did :(

We will have to wait and see if Nicolas Cage dose a good portrail, i hear this movie focuses more on Capone, his rise and fall. Altho going more into that, personaly i think 11 years for not paying taxes is too high of a sentence :( after all they could only get him on tax evasion.

David.
D James.

"Death ain't nothing but a heart beat away"

"With great power, comes great responsibility"

leecol
Researcher

Post by leecol » Fri May 25, 2007 9:52 pm

Hiya Chez, Hiya David,
I would have to agree with David with regards to actors playing Al Capone. Robert DeNeroe would be an excellent choice for playing Al Capone. No disrespect to Nicholas Cage, he is an excellent actor who as Chez has already mentioned has his own style. :)

Remember Robert DeNero, playing Jake Lamotta in Raging Bull, he even became a professional boxer to help prepare him for the part. Jake himself remarked DeNeroe was good enough to become a pro in his own right!!! :shock: To me it shows how seriously DeNeroe takes his part as an actor and how much he is willing to put himself in that mans shoes.
There is an old saying that springs to mind, " don't judge a man until you have walked in his shoes!" In the case of Robert DeNeroe he researched the part impeccably! :wink:

Mr DeNeroe would make an excellent choice, being of Italian descent, also bearing in mind his previous ' gangster castings!' Also as we have all seen on the screen, Mr DeNroe is a very adaptable actor. Who seems to gain and lose weight almost at will,( however this becomes more difficult with age!) also with modern digital editing techniques. It is no stretch of the imagination to see Mr DeNeroe as Al Capone.

As to whether Al Capone Haunts his old Jail cell/ prison, well the Jury is very much open on that one??? :? ( no pun intended!)

I find it fascinating why Western society(myself included), finds such objectional and evil people so interesting. To a degree I suppose it would seem a dangerous but glamourus lifestyle. Something the majority of us do not have or experienced. Also to be in a position of power and control over your immediate environment or in more human terms in a position of respect. I must admit from a personal point of view, I do admire these tyrants for their drive and determination. They are at the end of the day doer's and achievers, they make their mark in history and culture.

On a more alturistic note, I find their respective methods abhorrent and totally immoral. Or maybe, I have just been brought up in a different way.
Tyrants and mobsters etc, may have had deep personal problems that may have never been recongnised or treated! ( This subject has been approached before in the ' Cults Thread! ')

What I personally find objectional is the glamourisation of extreme violence and perversion! If a film is produced which accurately depicts the events warts and all, then fine by me. However when the film contains nothing but mindless violence and hate just for the sake of selling seats or dvd's. Then the film becomes boring and totally pointless, especially if the plot becomes totally out of context! :evil: If the film has a plot of course! :? Of course when I was a young whippersnapper, I would have loved mindless violence etc, however age sometimes conferes some wisdom! :wink: :lol:

Ramble over............. Cheers Lee. :wink: :D
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible- Frank Zappa.
To negatively criticize another man's thoughts without first criticizing one's own, it is an act of aggression, a form of psychological terrorism, and an immoral behaviour Larry Gowdy

david
Researcher

Post by david » Fri May 25, 2007 10:53 pm

Hiya Lee,

I think to be honest, for me its not the violence that Capone commited that intrests me, its the fact that there were too sides to this very complex person, (from documentarys and DVDs iv got of the man) on one hand you had this violent man, but on the other, you had this family man that never took his work home, and helpet with Charity, lets not forget it was Capone who set up the First Soup kitchin in Chicargo so that poor people could eat, so in a way, he took lives (well ordered his men too) and on the other he saved lifes.

David.
D James.

leecol
Researcher

Post by leecol » Fri May 25, 2007 11:34 pm

Hiya David,

David said:
I think to be honest, for me its not the violence that Capone commited that intrests me, its the fact that there were too sides to this very complex person, (from documentarys and DVDs iv got of the man) on one hand you had this violent man, but on the other, you had this family man that never took his work home, and helpet with Charity, lets not forget it was Capone who set up the First Soup kitchin in Chicargo so that poor people could eat, so in a way, he took lives (well ordered his men too) and on the other he saved lifes.
Agreed David, However his complexity is not the issue!

The issue for me is how certain portions of the film industry seem to glamourise certain behavioual traits! No doubt Mr Capone loved his own genectic material, no surprises there! :wink:

Mr Capone acted within his defining parameters of manhood! Caring for his family and racial group can to an extent be applauded! However this can turn into extreme paranoia and hate pretty easily! Then again we can all care when it suits our own nefarious purposes.

However history is usually told by the people that have conquered, or have some input into the conquest! :wink: Or by the people who want to somehow justify their respective actions.

Cheers Lee.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible- Frank Zappa.
To negatively criticize another man's thoughts without first criticizing one's own, it is an act of aggression, a form of psychological terrorism, and an immoral behaviour Larry Gowdy

david
Researcher

Post by david » Sat May 26, 2007 9:36 am

Hi Lee,

You are correct, let me elabarte on this if i may,
movies with Violence apeal to the young, they have done for years,
weather it be horror, Action, or Gangster movies, Violence atracts the young!

The problem is the ones that get drawn into these fiction worlds, and then they start thinking its cool, to carry or own a gun, so what do they do?? they go out and buy one from some irrisponsible fool who will sell guns too anyone to make a buck, there is such easy access to guns it is un-believeable.

So now what do we have?? more and more young people hanging around in groups (Gangs) that fight each other, sure everybody has gotton into a fight at some point in there life, fists people can deal with, but when you put guns into those hands youve got a warzone.

pointing fingers at the filmakers is not going to make any difference.

David.
D James.