are we too obcessed with how others view us ??

General postings that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderators: wolfman, leecol

brett
Core member

are we too obcessed with how others view us ??

Post by brett » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:30 am

hi all - having just posed this little bombshell on another forum

what is your take on the question ?? - we all get a bit tetchy when our views are questioned and in some cases derided - this is human nature

but at the end of the day does it REALLY matter what people think of us and our views on various subjects ?? - after all ( in my view ) - this is what differentiates an individual from sheep - the ability to have our own thoughts and feelings /opinions on a subject or experience

as i have suggested ( ducks and waits for the fallout :lol: ) in the "other place " - if we all had uniform views of the world - for instance a world where the paranormal ( according to those who dictated the "correct thinking " ) did not exist - and no other delusional ( according to who ?? ) thinking existed - then there would be no need for psychologists to analyse and comment on peoples thinking - ( ah utopia ) :lol: :lol: - mind you the dole Que's would be longer :lol: :lol:

( i could live with that ) :twisted:

so my question is : have we as a society become too obsessed as to how others view us ?? - and at the end of the day is it really going to make us a better person if we blindly agree with people just to curry favor in their eyes ??

personally my answer is no - mind you i don't give a crap anyway anymore - so maybe i am bios :lol: :lol: ( honest answer folks :shock: )

regards

Brett
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?" --Albert Einstein

"the quality of one's ideas can be measured in large part to the degree of resistance that they attract. "

brett
Core member

Post by brett » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:54 am

well that did not get an answer * :roll: - ah well that's the great thing about pondering - you should never expect anyone to agree with you or even answer you - and by not doing so - they don't have to give an opinion

ho hum

Brett

* on there - not here

"the quality of one's ideas can be measured in large part to the degree of resistance that they attract. "

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Post by Cherill » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi Brett,

Sorry but I didn't get online yesterday......... a few probs at home and an invest last night!

I am torn on this one. On one hand, I don't care what other people think of me personally, but I do have to be totally honest and say that I do care what they think of work i do - in a small way! :?

It matters that my reports can be read and understood and that they stand up to scrutiny. It does bother me when people slag us off for no good reason. I think that is because it is lies.

If someone doesn't like me - then it's tough shit generally! :lol:
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

Navigator

Post by Navigator » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi Brett,

What people think of me doesn’t really bother me, but what they might write about me unfairly is a different matter. There is the old saying that the pen is mightier that the sword and indeed in can be. I certainly think we are both very much aware of how difference, debated in words can lead to verbal combat and test the relations between the individuals concerned.

Best regard,

Stefan :)
Believe the impossible it's probably true!

"nonnullus qu lema firtivus neus porcus"

© nostalgia: "Emotion is the sum of all beings say’s © and to help remember this adds, think of it as energy in motion (Emotion)"

toouk
Core member

Post by toouk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi everyone,

By the age of five I had learned to not speak of my thoughts and to hide all accomplishments, not for what other people might think of me, but to prevent the violent behavior that people too often exhibit when confronted with something out of the ordinary.

In time I had developed a nature of just not talking about much of anything, but in recent years I have begun talking about various topics just to see what sort of reactions I would get, and if the reactions were still similar to what I observed when young. Yea, the reactions are pretty much the same. :( PASSA is one of the few places where a person can say what's on their mind without getting pounced upon. :)

But the thing is, although there is psychological damage when a person disagrees with another person, I am not much concerned how people view me because I know that their opinions are not based on fact, just belief.
Where questions stop, false beliefs start.

Navigator

Post by Navigator » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the following ramble of a rant, because I know what I’m trying to say, but my words just aren’t flowing (in expression), very well for me today. :lol:

I have aired my opinions (on certain forums) having made logical speculations, based on observations. However often I am met with hostile reactions, from others who pose questions (that they can’t even answer themselves), as a counter argument.

I have been asked a question recently (on another forum) and can provide several plausible speculative answers. The irony as usual, is the opposing view makes no attempt at offering, any self recognised speculative possibilities. Is it just me or am I missing something, because my actual explanation (yet to be posted), is quite a simple speculative possibility? Anyway it doesn’t really surprise me, as the question appears twisted (by the opposition) and is partly based on something I never said, in the first place?

It is so easy to use skepticism as a tool to suppress the visionary ideas of others, but without these ideas, man would still be living in the dark ages. There as some very annoying people, who pretend to be true to sciences? They seek to purposely destroy others that are truly open-minded, using open-mindedness against them? They argue that people, often use the reference of not being open-minded (twisted by them to mean), as reasoning to justify false claims. However they also claim to be open-minded, whilst discounting speculative possibilities (based on genuine observations) that have yet to be tested. It does not matter to them, how fitting the speculation, because if isn’t what they consider normal its all just nonsense.

In the situation of not knowing (the true nature of a phenomenon) I believe it is right to speculate, using all the available evidence, gained from the observation. Until we speculate there is nothing for us to test, no purpose in devising testing protocols and no possibility of discovering aspects of the truth.

I wish I had discovered all this, like you did Toouk at a much earlier age. :(

Best regards,

Stefan :)

PS Information and knowledge can aid us, but in the wrong hands, it can also be used against us. :(
Last edited by Navigator on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Believe the impossible it's probably true!

"nonnullus qu lema firtivus neus porcus"

© nostalgia: "Emotion is the sum of all beings say’s © and to help remember this adds, think of it as energy in motion (Emotion)"

brett
Core member

Post by brett » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:07 pm

best bit of clear thinking i have heard in a long time nav - thank heavens we are able to use our brains in this group - have good people like toouk with us and are not afraid to speak our minds - regardless if others deride us

Brett .

Jane H
Researcher

Post by Jane H » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi all,

Its a sad fact that the world puts too much emphasis on outward apperances and first impressions, People tend to judge you on what they see on the outside, I know that i should ignore those people who do that, but as many of you know, it isnt easy to ignore the pain and hurt caused by the insults and sarcasm that people throw at you.

There are certain things that i simply cant help reacting to, like unfair criticism and bullying someone because they have some physical or mental difference, It also pisses me off big time when people pick on my friends for no better reason than the forum that they belong to, This sort of bullying behavior is one of the reasons that I stay here with you lot where i can be myself and give my views and opinions on a subject without the fear of being unfairly judged, oooooooh :x

I had better shut up now and get back in my basket.

Jane
We do what we must and call it by the best names - R.W Emerson :