Occasional Night Time Hum!

General postings that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderators: wolfman, leecol

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Occasional Night Time Hum!

Post by Cherill » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi all,

Since I moved into this falt I have been confounded (which isn't difficult these days), by an unusual humming noise. It is always only at the back of the flat and \i only ever hear it when I'm in the bedroom.

It is a very quiet, low vibrational hum that lasts for around 20 to 30 minutes at a time. It usually starts anytime after 11.15 pm but I have never heard it after 3.00 am.

I have been outside a couple of times and have tried to pinpoint the noise. The only thing I can see are the street lights that surround the communal area, but surely these would hum every night, wouldn't they?

Anyone any ideas?

Cherill.
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

Jane H
Researcher

Re: Occasional Night Time Hum!

Post by Jane H » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi,
there are a few things that i can think of but without hearing the actual noise i cant really make a more positive answer.
Firstly, normal everyday suggestions, it could possibly be the electricity supply either inside or outside the building maybe even a water main causing vibrations, could it be a neighbours washing machine or other noisy appliance, having lived in blocks of flats twice i know that the slightest noise can echo like crazy.
Now on to the more ...shall we say contraversial suggestion, it may be that you are hearing the natural vibration of the building, everything has its own vibrational frequency that is unique to its self and if something disturbs that frequency you will perceive that change, it could be that you are not actually hearing the noise with your ears but that your brain is picking it up and telling you that it is an audiable change, or it simply may be random infra sound,

Just my rambling thoughts, maybe they will help.
We do what we must and call it by the best names - R.W Emerson :

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Re: Occasional Night Time Hum!

Post by Cherill » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi Jane,

I thought about the electric but surely that would hum every night and during the day?

The lady upstairs is 88 years old and very frail. Her kitchen is over mine and when her washing machine is on it really rumbles, so we can rule that one out!

As far as I can tell, the water mains are at the front, my bedroom is at the back. Besides which, I don't think water would cause that kind of hum, but I could be wrong.

Unless someone else comes up with a good cause or reason, I will have to go with sensing the vibration theory! :D

Oo-er! :shock:

Ches.
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.