Where do Dragons come from?

Forum for the discussion of fantastic beings from myth and magic!

Moderator: wolfman

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Where do Dragons come from?

Post by Cherill » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:00 pm

Hi all,

Does anybody know where the legend of the Dragons originates? I guess it has something to do with the pre-historic dinosaurs or some such, but it would be nice if someone had any myths surrounding Dragons and especially if it concerns their origins! :lol:

The Chinese are big on Dragon lore aren't they? Why I wonder?

Ches.
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

Cherill

Post by Cherill » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:52 pm

Hi all,

I was just thinking about Dragons and the way they are portrayed in novels and one thing seems to stick out with me about them. Why do people presume that dragons come from Eggs? :?

Nearly every book I read which had dragons as a main feature in them, the dragons were hatched from eggs, like a chicken!!! :D Why is this? :? Is it some kind of link to Dinosaurs maybe?

Thoughts please everyone!

Ches. 8)
Blessed be!

Cherill.

Ghost Searcher

Post by Ghost Searcher » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Hi Ches,

I guess Dragons are known to be reptilian and if we look to our nearest Dragons, the Crocodiles, they lay eggs. In fact all crocs, turtles, tortoises, most snakes and some lizards lay eggs.

Here is a great site which asks the same questions... http://www.theserenedragon.net/origins.html

There is a good movie as well called Enter The Dragon...... but it more about Kung Fu.

Regards,

Milton.
Don't eat the yellow snow!

Navigator

Post by Navigator » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:14 am

Hi Milton,

Hope you are keeping well! 8)

Hen's lay eggs too and have wings!! :lol:

Best wishes,

Stefan :D

PS Thanks for the link! :)
Believe the impossible it's probably true!

"nonnullus qu lema firtivus neus porcus"

© nostalgia: "Emotion is the sum of all beings say’s © and to help remember this adds, think of it as energy in motion (Emotion)"

Cherill

Post by Cherill » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for that link Ghost Searcher! It is fascinating that so many people have the same thoughts and it all leads to nothing. :?

If someone were to ask me if dragons ever existed, I would bend towards saying 'possibly' as there is no real evidence for or against, but as some prehistoric mammals looks so like how a dragon may have looked, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt! 8)

Besides which, I want to believe in them! 8) :oops: I do not imagine a dragon as having magical powers, or as being able to talk (even though they do in some stories!), but they do symbolise strength. power, willpower and a formidable force that no other can stand up to! Therefore they have to be admired purely on the thought of their existance. :?

I have heard of protection dragons (or luck drgaons) , ice dragons who live in the ice regions, fire dragons from volcanic regions and water dragons - which speak for themsleves! There are many more variations of dragons to be found in mythology alone! :)

I will have to get out some of my novels and re-discover the traits of the types of dragons. Fiction they may be............... mostly..................... but I find them completely fascinating! :D

Ches.
Blessed be!

Cherill.

GAZ

Post by GAZ » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:21 pm

It is interesting to note that there is a belief that the dinosaurs didn't actually die out, they evolved into birds. There are similarities in the skeletal shape of both, and it is known that there were dinosaur birds such as Archiopteryx which actually had feathers as opposed to the pteradons which were flying lizards.

Gareth 8)

Navigator

Re: Where do Dragons come from?

Post by Navigator » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:14 am

DRAGONS REALLY DID EXIST SO IF YOU’RE A SCEPTIC ABOUT THIS BE PREPARED TO BE SHOCKED OR JUST GO AHEAD AND IGNORE ALL THE HARD EVIDENCE...

Hi everyone,

In a simple answer to the question as where do Dragons come from the answer is they actually did exist all over the world. There is hard evidence that now proves conclusively that Dragons really did exist. The prehistoric land based Dragons died alongside the Dinosaurs in the mass extinction, but the marine Dragons from the same species survived and these evolved back into a land based form as was discovered in the archaeological find.

The Dragon find in the Romanian Mountains consisted of an adult female Dragon, a Juvenile female Dragon and a Dragon egg all frozen complete and intact, also some singed remains of a few 15th century slayers with weapons and amour.

The dragon finds had six limbs and the DNA extracted from the finds had an abundance of the gene type associated with the growth of limbs. The limbs for better explanation amount to these creatures having four legs and two wings as depicted in myths, legends and Art.

The wing too body ratio suggested that the wing span wasn't sufficient unaided for these magnificent creatures to fly at first. However it was discovered that these creatures had what appeared to be an extra set of huge lungs and that the lungs actually contained Hydrogen and Methane Gas. The creature had a palate flap in its mouth similar to what a Crocodile has to prevent water from entering the lungs when submerged that linked to these lung type sacks, which were fed with these gases from the creature’s digestive system and stored.

The bone structure of these creatures was found to be honeycombed like that found in birds of flight. So with the huge sacks (now refered to as flight bladders) of stored Hydrogen and Methane, which are both combustible gases that are lighter than air, alongside the wings and the light bone structure, these Dragon's were able to fly.

The mortuary of frozen remains of some 15th Century (would be) Dragon slayers in the Dragons lair had carbon deposits on them, which suggested that they had been burnt alive and that they had not naturally blackened due to their long freeze as first thought.

The teeth of these Dragons were of the sharp coniferous type in the front of the mouth and almost armour-plated molars in the back capable of crushing rock. The residue of rock samples taken from the Dragons molars revealed crushed rock with a very high content of Platinum. Now Platinum acts like a catalyst and when the combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen come into contact with it these gases ignite also igniting the Methane. So the Dragon flight bladders served a double purpose to help the Dragon become airborne and also as a weapon to barbecue its prey.

There is so much to this revelation in evidence that proves that Dragons once existed in the Channel 4 programme called “The Last Dragon” aired at 2:10am this morning (a two hour special) and what I have written in brief here from the memory hardly does justice to this awesome documented discovery.

IT'S AWESOME!!

Kind regards,

Stefan :)

PS I just couldn’t go to bed without mentioning this here at PASSA.
Believe the impossible it's probably true!

"nonnullus qu lema firtivus neus porcus"

© nostalgia: "Emotion is the sum of all beings say’s © and to help remember this adds, think of it as energy in motion (Emotion)"

Cherill

Re: Where do Dragons come from?

Post by Cherill » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi all,

Stefan said:
The wing too body ratio suggested that the wing span wasn't sufficient unaided for these magnificent creatures to fly at first
Well according to science the humble Bumble Bee should not be able to fly! :shock:

I have to try and see this programme! Anyone know where?

Cherill
Blessed be!

Cherill.