will 'o ' the wisp - jack 'a lantern

Forum for the discussion of fantastic beings from myth and magic!

Moderator: wolfman

brett
Core member

will 'o ' the wisp - jack 'a lantern

Post by brett » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:04 pm

seen at night on both the moors of Devon and Cornwall - in fact they are marsh gas which has ignited and burns with a strange blue/green flame - i have seen these in the dead of night out on the moors and it is in deed spooky to watch - how the gas ignites is unknown

generally regarded as an ill omen by travelers :shock:
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?" --Albert Einstein

"the quality of one's ideas can be measured in large part to the degree of resistance that they attract. "

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Post by Cherill » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Hmmm,

I seem to remember a childrens programme named Will-o-the-wisp! That was set in a forest I think! :?

Again, this was portrayed as an elvish type figure but larger than pixies and fairies.

It is extremely interesting to know that they are indeed a real phenomenon, even if the phenomenon isn't a paranormal one, unless you consider exactly how the gas gets ignited of course! :)

They say we all learn somthing new everyday! Perhaps this is my lesson for today then? :lol:
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

GAZ

Post by GAZ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:32 am

Isn't the term 'jack'o'lantern' given to the sparks and flashes seen around boats and ships masts while at sea?

brett
Core member

Post by brett » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:07 am

hi gaz - i think you are referring to either st elmo's fire ( masts etc ) or luminescence /phosphorescence ( mainly in water ) - the name is a west country one and i have seen /herd various usage of this in different parts of the country

regards

Brett

"the quality of one's ideas can be measured in large part to the degree of resistance that they attract. "

GAZ

Post by GAZ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:11 am

Hi Brett, yes you're right, it is St Elmo's fire I was getting muddled up with.
I wonder if there's any kind of connection with willow the wisps and earthlights?

Gareth 8)

Cherill

Post by Cherill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:58 am

Hi all,

Brett said:
luminescence /phosphorescence
Ah Brett me old buddy - what do you know of this? The reason I ask is that out in one of our regular research areas, we saw orange lights in the water which were definately not any kind of lake creature/fish/insect. I even called in 'experts' to try and find the cause. I was wondering if this luminescence/phosphorence may expalin it? :)
Blessed be!

Cherill.

brett
Core member

Post by brett » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:40 pm

let me find some refs for you and i will get back to you on this one - i maybe should have termed it bio - luminessence - as it can be caused by organisms - there are some fish that have lights attached to hunt prey - but as far as i know not fresh water ones :? - where these lights moving ??

regards

Brett

Cherill

Post by Cherill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Brett, the lights just appeared, then moved very slightly, then wham -Gone! Most of us who were there saw them, so they were physical not psychic.

I asked the advice of someone who fishes for a living, and spends most of his life by the water. He said there are fish who utilise organisms and algae to light up the water but not at night!

So the mystery is still unsolved you see! :)
Blessed be!

Cherill.

GAZ

Post by GAZ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi Cherill, Brett and everyone. It reminds me of the time I was at Woodchester Mansion in the chapel, we saw some very faint green/blue lights. I even wondered if the bird poo on the scaffolding was luminescent :lol:
but the bird poo on the scaffolding was no where near the lights. This is probably one of the weirdest things I've seen yet while on an investigation, it was well cool in my book 8)

Gareth 8)