Pegasus - or the Flying Horses.

Forum for the discussion of fantastic beings from myth and magic!

Moderator: wolfman

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Pegasus - or the Flying Horses.

Post by Cherill » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:26 pm

Hi all,

Just a carry on from Unicorns really - being a horse with an added bonus, but does anyone know where the Pegasus (or Flying Horse) myth actually originates? :?

I know the flying horse in Greek Mythology was named Pegasus and he came to the rescue of man after being sent by the gods specifically for this purpose! That though, is all I know.

The flying horse has also featured in many fantasy books as well as the unicorn. The biggest difference being that the flying horse usually has no special gifts - except the one of flight of course! The Unicorn has a magical horn and is supposed have the gift of healing as well!

So does anyone know the story behind the flying horses? Oh yeah, I also think that different cultures may have different stories and it would be great to know about them! :)

Ches.
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

Jane H
Researcher

Post by Jane H » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi Ches,

According to the legend, Pegasus was ridden by Bellerophon,who slew a monster called a Chimaera a beast with the head of a lion, the body of a goat and the tail of a dragon or serpent, It was a relative of the Egypian Sphynx and Cerberus the three headed dog who guarded the underworld.

Bellerophon survived the battle but got too big for his boots and tried to ride Pegasus to mount Olympus so Zeus king of the gods punished him by throwing him off Pegasus and crippling him 8) cool eh?

Jane
We do what we must and call it by the best names - R.W Emerson :

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Post by Cherill » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:47 pm

Hi Jane,

Was this the legend from Greek mythology then? It's great! 8)

Ches.
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

Jane H
Researcher

Post by Jane H » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:12 pm

Hi ches,

Yeah, this is actually an extremely early greek legend which in some versions Bellerophon is a wizard and that he was killed not just crippled, (you did not piss off Zeus or Hera)

Jane
We do what we must and call it by the best names - R.W Emerson :