Vampires.

Forum for the discussion of fantastic beings from myth and magic!

Moderator: wolfman

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Vampires.

Post by Cherill » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi all,

We have all heard about Vampires in various degrees, shapes and forms, from the dark beginnings created by Bram Stoker, written from horrific stories about one evil murdering count in Transylvania, to the modern day 'daywalker' of Blade and the rest of the more terrifying clans of blood - suckers.

However, just how diverse are these legends and myths of these night creatures and where do they all originate from?

Could they really exist? If not, why not? If so, then how? :wink:

Ches.
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

leecol
Researcher

Post by leecol » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:32 pm

Hiya Chez,
There has been a great deal of specualtion on the vampire myth/legend. Especially in the ex eastern block countrys, eg. Hungry, Bulgaria, etc. One idea suggests that during the great plagues of Cholera, The black death etc. A lot of people were buried alive, because in the medieval times medical science was non exsitent, or ignorance was rife!
A lot of people who may have been in a coma , were buried alive!
Can you imagine waking from a coma/ illness to find yourself buried in a coffin underground? What would be the normal human response? Get the hell out of there is one that springs to mind! Can you imagine trying to claw your way out of this wood and earth coffin? so you can breath. Maybe biting your lips and ripping your fingers/fingernails in the process!
From a dead person, to a person who has blood dripping from their mouth and fingernails! Its not hard to imagine how some of the population regarded these poor people as vampires. Conversley the vampire legend goes back further to the occidental worlds of Asia. Legends talk about physchic vampires that feed on your will or fears. Maybe its a fear of other people trying to live of you? though seem to be on the surface decent! Or maybe its an inbuilt revulsion to parasitical behavour that is commonly displayed throughout nature(especially in the insect world)!
Funny that! spiders have always reminded me of vampires, the way they use their fangs to disable their prey, then secreate enzymes to digest their prey into a liquid form, then suck up the goodies for nutrition.

Yum, yum!! :lol:

Maybe its human nature to be fearful of the more unpalatable aspects of nature around us. :wink:

Kindest regards Father Slap. :wink:
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible- Frank Zappa.
To negatively criticize another man's thoughts without first criticizing one's own, it is an act of aggression, a form of psychological terrorism, and an immoral behaviour Larry Gowdy

Cherill

Post by Cherill » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi Leecol,

Great stuff there. Now come on though.......... you know I am afraid of Spiders! :? It only been the last few months that I have learned to tolerate them at a distance! Now you say they remind you of vampires! :shock:

Those poor people who were buried alive could also have been mistaken as zombies were they in other parts of the world. Strange how different countries can interpret the same thing.............. how do Paranormal Investigators stand a chance? :lol:

Ches.
Blessed be!

Cherill.

median

Post by median » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:59 pm

Leecol

Adding to your stuff, I believe the perception of corpses dug up as a response to perceived vampire killings was that the hair and nails still grew of those people who were buried. It is popular myth but apparently the illusion is caused by the receding skin line which gives the said appearance.

I agree that the fangs of a spider are very reminiscent of a vampire biting. However the mode of ‘digestion’ is different. More appropriate is that of vampire bats (what else?), mosquitoes and leeches which goes with your idea of parasitic behaviour.
I believe that Bram Stoker used a piece of prose likening a sated vampire to that of a bloated leech. :?

Blood it seems is a powerful symbol for life. Holy communion, Blood of Christ.etc….it seems to repeat in history.

The legend of Dracula (or Vlad the Impaler, Prince of Walachia) is well known but another infamous historical character is Countess Elizabeth Bathory who used to bathe in the blood of girls in an effort to regain her youth. (years of Hammer Horror, sorry) :roll:

Interesting fact (not) If a lone vampire infected a person once a week then after 10 wks assuming subsequent successful infections there would be 1024 vampires assuming an undead transformation (4,503,000,000,000,000 in a year) There would be some severe competition for food :D
Of course this could be offset by the no. of vampire hunters 8)

As for spiders, Chez, don’t be alarmed. We have loads in our house (much to my daughters delight :lol: :lol: ) but they certainly keep the disease carrying flies in check :wink:

Cherill

Post by Cherill » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi all,

Whilst perched on a drafty windowsill in the second floor corridor od Woodchester Mansion this weekend, I was staring out into the depths of blackness of the room that isn't - (people who have been will understand where I mean) and I had the weirdst thought about how perfect for vampires that building would be. :lol: Definately hammer house of horror stuff median! :lol:

The cellars could be made to have no windows for the coffins to rest in of course (as we all know vampires have to return to their coffins during the day) and they could practise hanging upside down from the rafters (as some stories would have us believe). 8)

The building is isolated enough for no intruders to see the comings and goings and there is enough parkland to hide all the corpses of the eaten ones who were not turned! :?

Yep - a perfect Vampire house!

Ches.
Blessed be!

Cherill.