Our own Handfasting Ritual

A place to share your Rituals and Rites with others.

Moderators: wolfman, leecol

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Our own Handfasting Ritual

Post by Cherill » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:50 pm

The Handfasting of
Simon and Cherill Royce-Dexter
Sunday 25th July 2010 Written by Cherill Royce-Dexter, Gwen Hopkinson Officient.

Gwen: On behalf of Simon and Cherill we welcome everyone to their handfast ritual.

To those not of the craft, a handfast ritual, is where two people declare their love and their commitment to each other as a partnership. Both come as equals and neither is given away.

Please make sure that all phones are switched of or are on silent mode. Once the circle has been cast, please do not leave it. Children and animals may wander around freely as their innocence means they cannot break the circle.

Thank you.
Casting the circle

Kev to lead the drumming as the couple walk into the circle. The couple stand by the central fire whilst the circle is cast and the quarters opened.

Gwen: We will now cast the circle and make this place fit for the Goddess and God, ancestors and humans alike.

Salt: We bless this salt, pure symbol of Earth, to prevent negativity and imbalance. May it be fit to dwell upon the alter.

Water: We consecrate this water so that it may cast out all impurities May it be fit to dwell upon the alter.

Salt and Water mixed together: With this blessed salt we consecrate the ground that is to be used this day for the handfast ritual of Simon and Cherill.
Let naught but love enter. Let naught but love leave.
So mote it be.

Water and salt taken around the circle: With this blessed salt and consecrated water we cleanse our circle, in preparation for Simon and Cherill’s handfast rite.
So mote it be

Incense taken around the circle, starting in the east: With this incense we purify our circle in preparation for the handfast rite of Simon and Cherill.
So mote it be.

Fire carrier, starting in the east, walks around : With this flame burner we seal our circle in preparation for the handfast rite of Simon and Cherill.
So mote it be.

Calling the quarters.

Gwen: We will now call in the Guardians from the East;

Kev to drum for four bars before the calling.

Anne: I stand at the gate of the East and call to the element of Air……
Mighty Air, whose presence can be as gentle as a kiss or as strong as a hurricane, you are the life’s’ breath in our lungs. You carry our voices on high. You caress the land, move water and touch all living things. We honour and respect you. Come to us and be with us this day and witness the joining of Simon and Cherill at their handfasting.
We bid you, Hail and Welcome!
Gwen: We will now call the Guardians from the South.

Kev to drum for four bars before the calling.

Jay: I stand at the gate of the South and call to the element of Fire……..
Mighty Fire the giver of warmth, light and comfort. You burn with passion and purifying flames. We feel your presence in the tiniest spark and in the ever shining Sun. We fear your power of destruction and marvel at your power of warming life. Guided by the Horned One. Come to us and be with us this day and witness the joining of Simon and Cherill at this their handfast ritual.

Gwen: We will now call the Guardians from the West.

Kev to drum four bars before the calling.

Mandy: I stand at the gate of the West and call to the element of Water……..
Mighty Water, whose life giving properties all living things need. Without whom we would wilt and die. We respect the depths of your oceans and the gently trickling brooks. We feel your emotions and the pure strength of your tides. Guided by Our Lady of the Moon, come to us and be with us this day and witness the joining of Cherill and Simon at this their handfast ritual.

Gwen: We will now call the Guardians from the North.

Kev to drum four bars before the calling.
Suzanne: I stand at the gate of the North and call to the element of Earth…..
Great Mother Earth, the bearer of all life. You, who governs the cycles of our existence. We feel your presence in every living thing from the tiniest crystal to the mightiest volcano. Protector and teacher to all. We feel your nurturing strength in everything that lives. We see your destructive power in every earth quake and volcanic eruption. Come to us and be with us this day and witness the joining of Cherill and Simon at this their handfasting.
We bid you, Hail and Welcome.

Ring the chimes to signal the start of the ceremony.

Gwen: We call upon the Lady, the Great Goddess. We ask you to come to us, guide us and protect us during the handfast ritual of Cherill and Simon. We ask that you grant them patience and nurturing, love and respect during the length of their partnering.
Great Lady, we bid you Hail and Welcome.

We call upon the Lord, the Great God. We ask you come to us, guide us and protect us during the handfast ritual of Simon and Cherill. We ask that you grant them strength and courage to enable them to face anything that confronts them during their time together as one.
Great Lord, we bid you Hail and Welcome.

We call upon the ancestors, those we knew and those who are long past. We ask you to come to us, guide and protect us this day at the handfast ritual of Simon and Cherill. We ask you to grant them your wisdom, peace and harmony, love and protection for the rest of their days. Give them your blessings for all time.
Great ancestors, we bid you Hail and Welcome.
So mote it be!

We are all here to witness the vows of Simon and Cherill which bonds them together in this life and beyond in the sight of the Lord and the Lady.

The Rite

Stuart and David enter the circle and hand one scroll each to Simon and Cherill. They walk back into the circle. Simon and Cherill cast into the fire their past life scrolls saying:-

Both: This scroll tells of my faults that I wish to change. I throw this scroll into this fire as a symbol of my wish to change and become a better person as we begin our new life together.

Simon and Cherill proceed to the alter with Gwen.

Gwen: Simon, what is your wish?
Simon: To be joined with Cherill.

Gwen: Do you stand here of your own free will with no coercion or threat?

Simon: Yes I do.

Gwen: Cherill, what is your wish?

Cherill: To be joined with Simon.

Gwen: Do you stand here of your own free will with no coercion or threat?

Cherill: Yes I do.

Gwen: You have both stated that you wish to handfasted before the Goddess, the God, The Ancestors, families and friends that are gathered here in this sacred place. Is this so?

Simon and Cherill: Yes it is so.

Gwen: Does anyone here have any objections to this couple being joined? If so speak now or forever hold it in your heart.

Should any of the Ancestors and spirits here have any objections to this couple being joined? If so let it be known now or forever keep it close to you.

Blessings from the Elements

Simon and Cherill go to each of the quarters to ask the elements blessing; Kev to drum whilst Simon and Cherill walk to the quarter.

East:
Both: We seek from the guardian at the gate of the East a blessing from the element of Air.

Anne: As the guardian of the East and the element of Air, I give you the blessing of communication so that you may always tell the truth to each other and talk through any problems. As the wind blows, so mote it be.

Kev to drum whilst Simon and Cherill walk to the quarter.

South:
Both: We seek from the guardian at the gate of the South a blessing from the element of Fire.
Jay: As the guardian of the South and the element of Fire, I give to you the blessing of protection. May you defend and protect each other and like the Sun, may you energise each other, for all time. As the fire burns, so mote it be.

West:
Both: We seek from the guardian at the gate of the West a blessing from the element of Water.

Mandy: As the guardian of the West and the element of Water, I give to you the blessing of intuition for you to know each other deeply, and emotional stability to deal with whatever fate holds in store for you both. As the water flows, so mote it be.

North:
Both: We seek from the guardian at the gate of the North a blessing from the element of Earth.

Suzanne: As the guardian of the element of Earth I give to you the blessing of growth and provision. May you always provide for each other and nourish each other on a physical, emotional and spiritual level. As you are children of the Earth, so mote it be.

Both return to the alter.
Gwen: You have received blessings from the guardians of the elements. Take these blessings and use them wisely. Keep them close to your hearts and remember them well for they will guide you in your daily lives for all time.

Do you have tokens of your love?

Both: Yes I do.

Gwen: Who is the bearer of the tokens?

Lauren enters the circle and brings the rings to Gwen. She then returns to the circle.

Gwen consecrates the rings with salt and water:

Gwen: By salt and water I purify and cleanse these tokens of love. Let all negative energies, impurities and hindrances be cast from them. Let all that is positive, good and loving enter into them and stay within, bringing constant reminders of the love this couple have for each other. Blessed be these tokens in the name of the Goddess.
So mote it be.

As children of the earth, your love should be as solid as a rock and as nurturing as the soil. Be close but do not stifle each other. Possess one another but allow each other to grow. Be understanding and compassionate even when the wind blows hard and the currents are rough. Be free in giving warmth and affection, like the home fire, but be not wild and destructive with jealousy as a raging fire. Make love often and be sensuous to each other. Calm your emotions in a storm and listen to each others words. Never fear the words of others and always remember that the Goddess and God are with you now and always.
So mote it be.

Gwen: Cherill now speak your vows.

Cherill to speak her vows

Gwen: Simon, now speak your vows.

Simon to speak his vows.

Gwen anoints the couples foreheads.

Gwen: May the divine Goddess of love in all her glory, bless you with togetherness, honesty and spiritual growth for as long as you both shall live.
May the Goddess and God within you guide you on the right path and may the magick of your love continue to grow for as long as you shall remain together in love; for your marriage is a sacred union of the female and male aspect of Divinity.
Blessed be.

Cherill and Simon, you have made your vows before the Goddess and God, spirits, ancestors, family and friends. We will now bind you in love.

Gwen fastens Simon’s and Cherill’s wrists with the cord.
Gwen: As your wrists are joined with this cord, may it symbolise the bonding of your souls, your energy, your life force; that throughout your life together you may know of nothing but each others joy and love, in perfect balance and peace.
So mote it be.

It is now time for you to step the broom together.

Stuart, David and Lauren enter the circle. Stuart and David pick up the broom a few inches off the ground. Simon and Cherill step over the broom. Whoever has the broom handle passes the broom to Lauren.

Lauren: May all the negative influences of your past be swept away.

Lauren then sweeps from behind Simon and Cherill to the edge of the circle. Stuart, David and Lauren then re-join the circle.

Gwen: By stepping the broom together you proven to all here that you can work as a single mind and spirit. Therefore, let the cords of the handfasting be removed and saved as a reminder of this joyous day. Receive now each of you, the symbols of love. Only the handfasting rings will remain as symbols of the continuing love.

Simon takes the ring and puts it on Cherill’s finger saying:-

Simon: I give you this ring as a token of my love and commitment to you. As the ring has no beginning and no ending, let our love be the same.

Cherill takes the ring and puts it on Simon’s finger saying:-
Cherill: I give you this ring as a token of my love and commitment to you. As the ring has no beginning and no ending, let our love be the same.

Gwen: I now pronounce you joined to one another. You may seal this union with a kiss.

Blessing of the simple feast

Gwen: All things come from the Lord and Lady and all things return to them in time. May the blessings of the Lord and Lady be on this food and wine that we share here today.
So mote it be.

As you share this cup this day so may you share your lives and fortunes. May you never thirst. Blessed be.

Simon and Cherill drink from the Chalice.

Gwen: As you share this food this day so may you share your lives and fortunes. May you never hunger. Blessed be.

Simon and Cherill take a piece of bread and eat.

Gwen: Now pace you both the circle, presenting yourselves to the Divine ancestors and your guests as husband and wife, as two who are one. Share the simple feast with one and all so that they may give you their blessings.

After the bread and wine has gone all round Gwen to close……….

Gwen: Lady, Great Goddess, we thank you for attending this rite, guiding, guarding and protecting us this day. We thank you for the blessings you have bestowed upon us and upon Simon and Cherill on this their handfast day. May we all live forever in your protection and with your blessings.
Hail and farewell.

Lord, Great God, we thank you for attending this rite, guiding, guarding and protecting us this day. We thank you for the blessings you have bestowed upon us and upon Cherill and Simon on this their handfast day. May we all live forever in your protection and with your blessings.
Hail and farewell.

Most respected ancestors and spirits, of ourselves and of this place, we thank you for attending this rite and for guiding, guarding and protecting us. Thank you for the blessings you have bestowed on us and upon Simon and Cherill on this their handfast day. May we all live forever in your protection and with your blessings.
Hail and farewell.

Gwen: We now bid farewell to the guardians of the West.

Mandy: Element of Water, we thank you for your presence and your blessings this day. Whenever we feel the gentle rain on our faces, let us remember this day and all that it symbolises to each of us, with love in our hearts. We bid you….
Hail and farewell.

Gwen: We now bid farewell to the guardians of the South.

Jay: Element of Fire, we thank you for your presence and for your blessings this day. Whenever we feel the warmth of your flame on our faces, let us remember this day and all that it symbolises to each of us, with love in our hearts. We bid you…..
Hail and farewell.

Gwen: We now bid farewell to the guardians of the East.

Anne: Element of Air, we thank you for your presence and for your blessings this day. Whenever we feel the gentle breeze on our faces, let us remember this day and all that it symbolises to each of us, with love in our hearts. We bid you….
Hail and farewell.

Gwen: We now bid farewell to the guardians of the North.

Suzanne: Element of Earth, we thank you for your presence and for your blessings this day. Whenever we taste the fruits of the earth, let us remember this
day and all that it symbolises to each of us, with love in our hearts. We bid you…
Hail and farewell.

Gwen: The rite is now ended; the circle is open but never broken. We wish you all well. Please join in with the celebrations and in wishing Cherill and Simon a long and happy life together.

May we all live with Light in our lives, love in our hearts and the Lord and Lady guiding our steps.

We thank everyone for their help, guidance and hard work and we thank the Goddess and the God for making us the people we are.

We would also like to thank everyone for coming!

Blessed be to all…………………….
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.

Cherill
Group founder member ASSAP approved

Re: Our own Handfasting Ritual

Post by Cherill » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:52 pm

This was written by a young boy who attended our Handfasting with his parents. They are not pagan, so this whole experience was one of wonder, as you will read....

The Witches Wedding by Sam Rigby

The following a true story told by a young boy, who attended our Handfasting in July 2010. He wrote this as an essay for school. When the teacher read it, she accused the boy of lying, until his mother put him right. Can you see why? I have put in punctuation for ease of reading, but the words are purely his!

Quote:
“First we went to town to buy a present. We went to a shop in diagon alley. I had never seen this shop before. It had dreamcatchers and stones with black markings painted on them and it smelt really, really nice in the shop. We brought a piece of a tree with dumbledore on it. When we got to the wedding we played on a swing and a slide.

Then the witch came. She was not flying on a broom but she was walking. She had flowers in her hair and she was beautiful and had a long green dress on. I think she was the nice witch in the wizard of oz. Then the wizard came and met her. He had a long black cape on and lots of belts on his trousers. There was not any cats or spells though. Then everyone made a big circle and some played drums with their hands. They were very heavy. There was a man who looked like Hagrid. He was playing a drum and he let my mum play it to. I asked him about the wedding and he told me it was a handfastening. I saw them tieing their hands together and he said that’s why people say tieing the knot meaning to get married. It was funny when they climbed over the broomstick. I asked David about this but he was just being silly and talked nonsense. My mum took a picnic. That bit was good because I don’t like all the food stuff at weddings but I liked all that food.

And there was a market and mum brought a dreamcatcher, a wooden round circle with spiderwebs in it and feathers on it. She also bought some pointed witches hats and a cauldron to burn them in. They smell very nice. All the witches and wizards were in their clothes and cloaks and looked amazing. But I was odd because I only had trousers and a jumper on. They must have thought I looked funny. And there was a fire in the middle of the field that they all danced round at night. Well I think they did. We had to go so I imagined they all danced to celebrate the marriage. I remember the man who looked like Dumbledore told me they are not called witches but they are called wikapedias.”

I think this is Brill! :D
Blessed be!

Cherill.

"sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." J. Ceaser.